Mediterranean Diet Food List
Before we go into the details of individual foodstuffs which you can or cannot have, we will share the general type of foodstuffs which you need to consume.
- Foodstuffs which you can consume: The general type of foodstuffs which you can consume includes vegetables, whole grains, herbs, spices, fish, nuts and seeds. You can consume these in ample quantities.
- Foodstuffs which you need to moderate: You have to moderate the poultry products and also you have to moderate eggs as well as cheese.
- Foodstuffs which you can eat very rarely: These you can consider as the cheat foodstuffs. You can consume them but only very rarely. This includes red meat.
- Foodstuffs which you need to avoid completely: You have to avoid foodstuffs that consist of a significant quantity of sugar. You have to also avoid foodstuffs which consist of preservatives. You have to avoid foodstuffs consisting of processed meat as well as refined oils.
Now that you are aware of the normal foodstuffs which you can consume, we will go into the individual details of the same.
- Vegetables: Vegetables which you can consume in this diet on a regular basis include kale, spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, and broccoli.
- Fruits: The number of fruits which you can consume is plenty. You can start by consuming grapes, dates, apples, bananas, oranges, peaches. You have to include plenty of fruits in your food list.
- Nuts: Nuts provide your body with the numerous nutrients. That is why you have to consume nuts on a regular basis. Some of the nuts which you can consume include cashews, hazelnuts, and walnuts.
- Legumes: Legumes will add a dose of protein to your diet and keep you full for a longer period of time. Some of the legumes which you can consume include lentils, pulses, peanuts as well as beans.
- Tubers: In this diet, you can easily include tubers like turnips, sweet potatoes as well as normal potatoes.
- Whole grains: As we stated above, whole grains can be included in this diet as well. Some of the grains like whole wheat, corn, barley, brown rice can be easily included in your diet.
- Fish and seafood: While red meat, as well as processed meat, is not allowed but you can include fish as well as other seafood. You can include options like shrimp, oysters, trout, and salmon.
- Eggs: You can easily include different type of eggs including chicken eggs as well as duck eggs.
- Herbs and spices: You can include herbs like nutmeg, sage, rosemary, cinnamon, peppers as well as garlic. This will ensure that with the help of these condiments, you are able to make your diet more attractive and enjoyable as well.
- Healthier oils: In cooking, you will need one type of oil or the other. Instead of using the normal oils, you can use healthier oils like extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil.
When you are able to plan your diet accordingly, it will become much easier for you to follow it up to the last detail. This will also mean that you are able to easily follow the diet and lose weight. Now that you are familiar with the Mediterranean diet food list, we will discuss beverages as well as the drinks which you can consume in this diet.
Which Drinks And Beverages You Can Consume?
Weekly Sample Menu And Shopping Idea
Now that you are familiar with the Mediterranean diet food list, it is important to look at a sample menu in order to understand more. We will now build a sample menu which will actually help you understand how you can plan your diet throughout the week. We have listed below the weekly sample menu to help you build a proper menu.
- Breakfast: At breakfast, you can consume Greek yogurt. Along with it, you can consume oats as well.
- Lunch: Vegetables are the best option which you have for the lunch. You can have whole grains sandwich along with it.
- Dinner: You can consume tuna salad for dinner. Instead of consuming any heavy dessert, you can consume fruit.
- Breakfast: one of the best ways to get the nutrients along with very little amount of fat is to have oatmeal along with raisins.
- Lunch: In lunch, you can easily have a tuna salad which you had the night before.
- Dinner: In dinner, you can have a mixture of salad along with feta cheese. You can add olives to it as well.
- Breakfast: On the next day, you can have an omelet for breakfast. You can put some veggies into it along with tomato and onion. You can top it off with fresh fruit juice.
- Lunch: In lunch, you can again repeat the whole grain sandwich. You can add the vegetables to it.
- Dinner: In dinner, you can have Mediterranean lasagna.
- Breakfast: For breakfast, the next day you can have sliced fruits and nuts. You can mix these in your cart.
- Lunch: At lunch, it is a good idea to have the Mediterranean lasagna which you had the night before.
- Dinner: In dinner, you can opt for some seafood. If you like salmon, you can go with it otherwise, you can also opt for shrimp. You can couple that with brown rice as well as other vegetables.
- Breakfast: In breakfast, you can have eggs as well as vegetables. You need to just make sure that while cooking, you are using olive oil.
- Lunch: For lunch, you can opt for yogurt once again this time around mixed with the fruit like strawberry. If you like oats, you can add nuts to it as well.
- Dinner: At dinner, you can have a meat-based option. This time around, you can opt for grilled lamb. If you need something to go along with it, you can go for a potato salad.
- Breakfast: In breakfast, you can easily opt for oatmeal. It is not only nutritious but ensures that the amount of fat is strictly limited as well.
- Lunch: For lunch, you can repeat the whole grain sandwich. You can add the vegetables to the whole grain sandwich according to your preference.
- Dinner: The dinner on Saturday can be a bit fancy. You can opt for the Mediterranean pizza. You have to just make sure that the base is made with whole wheat. You can easily use cheese, olives as well as other vegetables for toppings.
- Breakfast: At breakfast, you can have omelet which will consist of plenty of vegetables. You have to cook it in olive oil.
- Lunch: In lunch, you can opt for the pizza which you had the night before.
- Dinner: You can think about consuming another meat option. You can go with grilled chicken. You can add vegetables as well as butter to it. If you need a dessert, you can opt for fruit.
Thus, instead of thinking that there are not too many options when it comes to the Mediterranean diet shopping list, you have to just take a look at the sample. With the help of the sample menu, you will be able to understand how you can plan your diet throughout the week.
What should you do when you’re hungry in between the meals while following this diet?
Binge eating can easily impact your diet. It can negate the benefits which you have in your diet. That is why you have to find out a solution to binge eating as well. Only when you are able to find a solution to binge eating, you will be able to follow the diet. In this diet plan, you just need to consume 3 meals per day. That is why, if you’re hungry in between the diet, you can consume foodstuffs like:
- Leftovers from the past meals
How To Follow This Food List When You’re Dining Out?
Sooner than later, you will either have an office dinner or a meal outside or you would head over with your family and friends to a restaurant. In such a case, how should you follow this diet? We have this sorted for you. We will share with you a few tips which you can utilize in order to follow the Mediterranean diet food list when you’re at a restaurant.
- The 1st thing which you have to do is to opt for seafood or fish. When you are opting for seafood and fish in your main course, you can be sure that you will be able to limit the calories easily. Additionally you can ensure that you are still following this diet.
- You have to request the restaurant to cook the food for you in extra virgin olive oil. This will ensure that once again, you are able to limit the calories and eat healthy as well.
- You have to pay for whole grain bread for any type of bread-based appetizer or main course. You have to also insist on the restaurant using virgin olive oil instead of butter for making your food.